Hi all, I am repairing a very old open back banjo and have a couple of frets that have bad wear in them. I don't want to replace the fret wire as I don't have the correct type or even anything similar. Is there anyway to repair the worn area other than levelling all the frets? I was thinking of applying solder to the area after heating it up with a soldering iron. What do you think??


New Zealand

Views: 1035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Years ago i did fret jobs before i had real fret tools with a simple ball peen hammer, diagonal cutter and standard hardware store files like mill file for the leveling and triangle files and needle files for shaping.
I'm still running that way! No press. Plastic hammer, various files, sand papers and abrasive linens and... elbow grease. Still works fine!


© 2023   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service