FRETS.NET

I've been handed a "dreaded" ovation-model 1612-1. The top has a crack runs from the soundhole to the endpin area. The top loading bridge was lifting off behind the saddle. Sliding a spatula underneath, the bridge came off pretty easy. The owner would like to convert to a pin bridge. Would this be possible after repairing the crack? Replys greatly appreciated!

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't remember for sure but aren't there braces where you'd want a bridge plate to go? Either way the top has been designed for a pinless bridge, I wouldn't recommend it. Although if the customer absolves liability and is willing to throw money at it, I've been known to change my mind.

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Ovation%20Bracing/Ovation%20Bracing.html

This site shows a number of variations in bracing used in Ovation models.  I am not sure which of them is relevant to your job, but it probably doesn't matter.  Like John said, every one of them involves a fan pattern which has bracing where you will want a bridge plate and pin holes to go.  I don't think it is going to work out. 

Mark

Hi John and Mark. Thanks very much for the replys and info. I kinda of thought that was the case but I wanted to verify from others who know much more about it than I. I'll let the owner know of what I found out and get him to understand it's better to stay with the pinless bridge.

It's amazing to me how Ovations always rear their little heads on this discussion board:)  I've had more than my share of 'em (for better or worse... and usually worse) but they keep arriving like clockwork. One customer buys them from 'goodwill.com' sight-unseen and they generally need various amounts of TLC to get them on their feet.  Arrgghh.

The worst was a Balladeer model 1861 that eventually needed a new top... attaching it to the fiberglass bowl-body was an engineering nightmare:)  Nice to see that one head out the door. I bring that one up here because the customer wanted a pinned bridge and we settled-on making a new x-braced top to accommodate it. Yes it worked, but no thanks... never again. 

It's been a love/hate relationship... "love" because they generally sound pretty darned good, but "hate" because of their unorthodox designs, thick impenetrable top finishes, goofy glues and parts that seem to be always unavailable. They're like British cars.. (no offense meant to the brethren across the pond) ...you love 'em or hate 'em but they're always in need of something and it's never something easy. 

What else would you expect from an aircraft/helicopter blade manufacturer?
A guitar that can do 275 knots at 12,000 feet?

Mike, so you would be one of the twenty or so Luthiers in North America that will actually 'work' on these instruments?  I will personally only do refrets on them.  You must be way more openminded than me. That is a great thing in a Luthier too!  

I would love to say I'm "more openminded..." but the truth is that customers are sometimes few & far between, so my standards of acceptance have hit rock bottom:)   Another twist is that the fellow who brings me the majority of the Ovations is a good customer and brings fun stuff as well, so it's a trade-off.  

You mentioned doing refrets on them and that reminded me of my first encounter with an all-aluminum Ovation neck, with the frets also aluminum and actually cast into the fingerboard. The guy wanted a refret and I said 'OK, let's take a gander'.. man, was that ever a revelation!  

We should start a frets.net chapter of Ovations Anonymous. "Hi my name is Mike and I hate Ovations":)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service