FRETS.NET

Gibson L series 037.jpgGibson L series 039.jpgGibson L series 038.jpgGibson L series 040.jpgGibson L series 041.jpgGot an old girl from the 1920's on my bench right now.

She been a little abused over the years but is in good overall condition.

She lacks her original tuners, bridge, tailpiece and pickguard.

Someone has refretted the first four frets and it looks like a rabid beaver dressed them while having a snack on the fingerboard.

My query is this: The owner wants the the unique marks from where the original pickguard attached

refinished.

Should this be done?

I'm on the fence on this one. He has the original attachments, and someone before me has made a decent replica of the pickguard. He wants the pickguard removed which is why she has found her way to me for the most part.

The finish is in pretty good condition overall. I'm suspect that it has been refinished on the neck in the past.

Should I touch up these unique authenticating marks since it's already suffered a good amount of bastardization already?

Prethanking for any input.

R.J.

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the feedback. The customer was given this guitar for free by an old lady aquaintance( That old chestnut)
He's little bit of a nervous guy and really doesn't want to spend a lot of money on the guitar.
Like I told him I'm not a vintage appraiser. I just alway operate under the mandate that less is more when comes to repairs on old instruments.
I figure it's always best to ask when it's something I've not seen before.
Thanks for the input.Helped a lot. We'll see what he wants to do.
R.J.
Thanks for sharing this case history with us. I am not a professional repairer so I don't have the experience of you guys with this sort of restoration ethical dilemma. Paul's point seems sensible to me. The marks are a fault, not an original design attribute. Thanks for the pics.
Mark
You're welcome.I agree with Paul as well.
Anytime I'm able to help just give a shout. I'll do what I am able.
You can contact me here, my website(www.mountainviewluthierschool.com), or at gitardude53@hotmail.com
Take care. Hasta la peaceta.
R.J.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service