FRETS.NET

I recently bought a '40 epiphone Zenith archtop.  It's in excellent condition, but needs a neckreset(bridge shaved way down, trapeze resting on top...).  I have done a few resets, and intend to do this one.  I've looked at Frank Ford's entry(@ Frets.com) on resetting a similar neck, and my question is: are these generally straightforward to remove?  Do the necks on these old Epis release, with steaming, easily?

Views: 470

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Typical dovetail joint with hide glue. Never had a problem getting one loose. Looks like it's in great condition BTW.

Dave,this guitar is SUCH a beauty!  Lucky Guy You! 

It is in good condition, actually looks as if it was hardly played all these years. 

How much is this worth with originalHSC and without needing a neck reset?

2012 Price Guide has it at $900 to $1100.

Hi Kerry.

The actual selling prices listed in the VGPG are inflated by 50-70%.  The only mildly accurate prices are for pre-war Martins & Gibsons.  At our shop, we only use that guide as an informational tool to ID specific models.

However, based on the pics, IMO, it looks to be a good solid $1000 guitar primarily due to its EX+ condition(:  A well done reset with invisible touch-ups will not affect the value. A marginal or poor job will diminish its vale by 40-60%. The "poor" rating is thrown in as a reference only. I'm sure Dave's work will fall into the "well done/invisible" range (:

Any way you look at it, it's a very cool instrument Dave!!!!

Paul

I bought it from a friend, somewhat(but not completely!) impulsively.  No case at all. Paid $750, with the understanding that it needs a reset.  I'm enjoying it very much, even before the reset. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service