FRETS.NET

Folks,

I'm about to purchase a Bay State "parlor" guitar, made around the turn of the last century. I thought it would be interesting to string it with gut strings to see how it used to be. Obviously stringing up with gut in August, in Massachusetts, where it has been raining for the past forever will be an experience. But how do I keep the strings in the pin bridge? I can add a bead like on cheap nylon strings, but will I be able to tie a knot in gut strings?

Any ideas? I'll probably end up putting extra light (10s) bronze strings on it, but I'd like to work up to them. Also there are bronze and silk strings that sound pretty good.

Joshua

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Josh.
On strings 1, 2, & 3, tie on a ball from a steel string, on strings 4, 5, & 6, just tie a double overhand knot on the end of the string.
Hello,

If the instrument is structurally sound, you may want to try "Silk & Steel" strings. I usually get these from Martin. If the instrument is in question structurally, get it looked at before stringing with any strings.

Bob J.
You might try the Thomastik-Infeld "Rope Core" strings like the John Pearse strings or the Classic S strings. They're available at www.juststrings.com, and they're not cheap. But they're cool.

John Pearse
low picking noise, bright sound

The bass strings E, A, D are round wound on a nylon core for a big, warm sound without distracting picking noises. The treble strings are flat wound nylon on a rope core and sound brighter than nylon strings. This set is ideal for folk-fingerpicking.

CLASSIC S Series

smooth, brilliant, extra long sustain: Classic S Series PRECISION are soft steel strings with polished winding specially designed for Folk- and Concert Guitar. Strings E, A, d, g, b are chrome steel flat wound on a highly flexible steel core, e is made of plain steel. Classic S Series ROPE CORE are soft steel strings with extra long sustain. A unique design employing a highly flexible steel rope core brings a high playing comfort. E, A, d are silverplated copper flat wound, g, b, e are Nylon tape wound.
Hi Joshua,
Many antique guitars have pin bridges and used gut strings. When I have used gut strings I just tied knots in the ends and pushed them through with the pins. I like the sound of gut but they are more expensive and higher maintenance than nylon.
Greetings Joshua- there are strings that are made for a pin style bridge that you are refering to, but if you already have strings then you can use a small bead with a hole in it and when you knot the string to the bead then take a small amount of good ole "crazy glue" and dab it on the knot.
install the strings by puting your hand thru the sound hole and feed it up thru the bridge,,, do all the strings before you put them to the tuning keys
so you dont end up with too little space to feed the next string.
Hope this is clear to you -- if not I will try to splain it different for you ok??
Donald

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service