I have two sets of tuners, they're old, and I believe one is gold Kluson sealfast tuners, as found on the Gibson Johnny Smith and Super 400; at least they look exactly like the pictures I found of these guitars. The other set is identical except for the knob, which has a small bolt at the top, a different shape, and a plastic bushing where the knob meets the body of the tuner.

Can anyone tell me what I've got? I've attached pictures of front and back. Does anyone know if there's any kind of guide to old guitar parts? I've googled 'til the cows came home, but no luck.

While I'm at it, I'm attaching one more picture of two miscellaneous tuners I have that I think may be Kluson wafflebacks, but again the knob doesn't match the pictures I've found.

Thank you!

Views: 443


Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Danged if I know, ....but I'll sure give you props for big, sharp clear pictures. Well done.
Kudos go exclusively to Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS, 8.0 Megapixels.
OK, a good camera and all, but you still take nice shots!
The one on the right of P1 is Kluson typically found on high end Gibsons, like an L-5. In fact, I have 2 sets I'd like to liquidate. I have a feeling the one on the left is Japanese. It has the tension screw like Grover/Schaller/etc married to the housing of the fancy Kluson. I'll bet you it works better than the one on the right.

I don't know about the others. They could be precursors to the wafflebacks we're used to seeing or perhaps they were supplied to someone other than Gibson.

Thanks Joshua. I wish somebody would write "The Field Guide to Arcane Vintage Guitar Hardware".

Hi, the first one without the end screw is a Kluson later model copy, which was used on 1970's Gibsons. I am looking for a set of these for my L5s if you wish to sell them. 813-969-2292.


© 2022   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service