FRETS.NET

I remember in the "olden days " , I could get a green and clear " Aircraft epoxy" from LMI...When I called them and asked them about it, they said it was overkill, and no longer carried it....This stuff was reportadly...." Used in place of welds on aircraft"...I used it for 3 years and it dissappeared...What is it???...P.S. Many punk guitars still together with same headstock!

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like I said above epoxy, I very seldom use epoxy for guitar repairs.
I have used it for gluing in inlays in years past, but now use superglue.

I recently removed an epoxy glued neck on a 00-18 Martin, it was not fun, almost told the guy I couldn't do it. Probably took about 3 hours to get it off.
NO, epoxy should never be used on a neck joint, or bridge, and I would never use it to glue a fingerboard, but I know some do.

Jim
If you live anywhere near water you can buy west system stuff at marine supply outlets. I get it at Fisherman's Marine supply here in Oregon City, Or.
DO NOT GLUE A BRIDGE WITH EPOXY THE REASON WHY LUTHIERS GLUE WITH ALIPHATIC RESIN IS SO THAT THE PIECE CAN POP OFF AND BE REPAIRED A FAIL SAFE IN A SENSE WHEN YOU GLUE WITH EPOXY THERE IS NO HOPE FOR FUTURE REPAIRS LIKE BRACING INSIDE FINISH AND THE BRIDGE IT SELF THE TIMES I USE EPOXY IS WHEN RESETTING BADLY BROKEN NECKS OR INLAY ONLY SET UP THE NEXT LUTHIER FOR SUCCESS
Since we're on the topic of epoxy.....

I recently scored some decent birdseye maple in a batch of regular maple I bought, so it will become fretboard material.

My question in regards to the epoxy is, are any of these brands suitable for sealing a maple fretboard surface, or is there something harder available?

LMI's catalog (under birdseye maple fretboards) says they don't sell any product for sealing maple boards. So this rules out the ZPoxy previously mentioned.

Does the West Systems epoxy have a "use by" date?

Has anyone ever used any of these brands (West Systems, 3M, Brampton Technology) specifically for sealing maple fingerboards (pictures please!)? I am also concerned with the material's ability to take a polish without dulling....

Here's what I'm after in terms of the finish.....

http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/pictures.html

Thanks....
Hi Marc,
That finger board you linked to is beautiful but I can't help but wonder what they look like after a few years of playing. Have you seen one that has been in use for a while?

Ned
"Have you seen one that has been in use for a while?"

Aye, there's the rub (or rub out). What happens when you get a divot? With lacquer as a finish, at least it's a no-brainer to refinish. Epoxy is strong, no doubt, but is it hard? I dunno.

Anyhow, my vote for easiest epoxy has to go to Double Bubble

(and speaking of punk guitars, this stuff will set your mowhawk for a month :) Hey, who remembers the Breck girl????
Hmmmmmmm. A whole lot of response to this..The epoxy I have been using with no failures so far..( Knock on highly figured mahogany....), is called power poxy I think..It's in 2 tubs, one part is clear, the other yellowish and runny..It's rated at 3,500 pound tensile or whatever,...But now I may be convinced to start trying a couple others...And I'd like to agree, in principal, that I would only use hide glue. or wood glue or whatever...But if you're looking at a cheap guitar that someone does not want to spend alot of money on,...The bridge has pulled up a couple of plys of plywood and is held on only by the bridge pins...And you can throw some quality epoxy in there to fill gaps and bond well to a roughed up pair of surfaces, and yes, sometimes i throw a bridge pad re-enforcement in to make a nice samich...and down and dirty, quick and easy, they have a working guitar!! And I've done it for years, and I don't see them again, in fact I hear..." remember that guitar of mine you fixed 5 years ago?...it's still playing just fine???...."....That's one of the reasons I LOVE my job!!! Another guitar out of the landfill!!....P.S....Viva Los Teisco's!!
the green and clear epoxy is AMR 101. i used to get it from chuck erickson (erika banjos) chuck told me it had no solvents in it and was pretty safe. 2 little cans 30 years ago cost $6, i belive you can still buy the glue but 2 little cans are $50 with a $100 minimum. i used it for over 25 years, it's a good adhesive.

con nap, made in canada is a good all around epoxy, but it will give me a headache.

smiths all wood epoxy is good but smells like something nasty, i would wear a spray mask or use it in a spray booth. the shelve life is not great.

west system is very good but also smells horrible.

i'm still looking for a better adhesive. can you get samples of different glues?

interested in what everybody else uses, thanks, juan

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service