FRETS.NET

Patient is a Guild American, late 90s. Binding shrunk and popped off at waist on both sides. Removed to relieve stress and re-glued. I've got a 3/32 gap now where it broke (before I got it in) on the bass side waist. How to fill? Obtain and cut a small piece of black binding, or fill with something to match the plain, black binding (colored epoxy maybe). Finish is matte, probably poly. Laminate sides and back. It's the back binding. I'm surprised how much it shrunk.

Ideas?

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recall something I ripped from 'Trade Secrets' or something similar - the process of melting binding material in acetone until it forms a creamy paste like consistency and using that to fill gaps - relevelling the area with a mini scraper. I have use this melting trick to fill holes in electric pickguards and to really wedge in binding strips at the join (I mitre the end of the binding strip - make it slightly long, give it a dab of #6 glue and clamp it to a corresponding mitre) to get a seamless join that won't open up over time. Rusty.
Those Guilds are notorious for that. I'd use colored epoxy w/some carbosil thickener, tape across the existing binding. If you need some, I'll send you a tablespoonful. I have some lampblack, too.

Or, for that matter, some black CA glue.
Simplest and best way, my opinion only, is to add a 3/32" piece of same the same material, and fit it in as tightly as possible. I'd probably glue it in with duco cement, apply some to the where it meets old binding, as it will soften the binding and hopefully blend everything together. It won't be invisible.
I tried the melting process, and it works OK if you just have a small gap. 3/32" is not a small gap.
Be carefull with the duco cement on the finish, it will eat into it. titebond or hot hide glue is also good and won't harm the finish.

Or, another idea is to loosen both ends of the old binding some, next, with a file cut a 45 degree bevel on both end, and also a 45 degree on the patch. Apply some glue and fit it in place. More fiddling around though, but a good learning experience.

Jim

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service