FRETS.NET

Good evening.

I consider purchasing 15-16 years old Gibson guitar with a very nice voice.

The only problem is that she has a cracked bridge.

This guitar is not a bargain; plus according to Gibson repair center the bridge repair or replacement is very expensive ..however I still would like to own this guitar.

Do you know by any chance if the new or repaired bridge can drastically change the tone of the instrument? I assume that the value of the guitar will probably go down, do not know about the sound.

I attached few pictures to illustrate the crack.

Thank you

Alex

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on these pictures, Does this bridge need to be repaired / replaced?

Thank you

Alex

IMO>>>If it's not cracked thru the top I'd fill'er up with thick superglue an' forget about it.Of course destring an' remove pins

1st.

You need to take a look inside at the condition of the bridge plate too.
Thank you to all

A solid maple overlay on the bridge plate with grain oriented the same as the spruce top grain would stiffen the cracked area, and make a cyanoacrylate repair more likely to hold.  

That said, the best repair is both the overlay and a new bridge.   In our shop that would be an expensive repair.

Thank you Frank.
How much would this repair typically cost?
Thank you
Alex

Alex:

I'm with Frank here. I've made two of these bridges over the last few years. Length, depth, height, pins and slot can be achieved in the normal fashion, then it's time for much cutting and sanding with a Dremel or similar tool. For the most part, I held it in my hand while working and even eventually used a pencil sander for the smaller channels. I actually enjoy doing that type of work, but it's terribly time consuming. I've never had much luck repairing a cracked bridge and having it stay repaired for any great length of time but in this case, to avoid so much work, you might want to give it a shot. I also agree wholeheartedly with the bridge plate patch. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Jay

Edit- seems like I charged about $200 or maybe $250 for the last one but I'm living and working here in a low rent district with little overhead.  :~)

Bridgepin cracks usually happen because the bridgeplate failed and the string balls have gone through the spruce and are pulling against the bridge itself. This is not a good situation. If this is the case, repair the bridgeplate, either with a reinforcing piece (I usually use Formica) or the Stew-Mac bridgeplate repair kit. And then simply fill the crack with CA. The CA will simply fill the crack—it doesn't really do much work.

In any case, I join the chorus: before replacing the bridge, look inside to check the condition of the bridgeplate.

Thank you very much to everybody; 
A lot to think about  :)
Alex
Another possibility is to fill the crack with some fine rosewood "sawdust", then drop some super glue on the dust. Overfill with the dust as the glue will 'settle' the dust.  Next, when dry, just use fine sandpaper to level it, and then very fine (1200 grit) to polish it up.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service