FRETS.NET

Hi everyone.  I am sorry if I have the wrong place for my type of questions, but I am looking for information on what I believe is an old guitar and am not having a lot of luck on the internet.  This is one of the only sites I saw mention of it.

My husband recently obtained some older guitars from his grandfather.  Unfortunately, there is no one left to give us any information about them, other then they were his grandfather's and have been stored in the basement for the last 25 years after he passed away.

The first guitar is a Hensel Minerva guitar (Hensel Minerva is carved into the head stock) and has a sticker inside that says

Minerva

Hand Made

The R.S. Williams

& Sons Co. Ltd.

About the only information I can find is that the R.S. Williams company made guitars in Toronto up until the late 1920's.

My apologies, but I don't know much about guitars.  I called a local place in town and they will do an appraisal for me for about $25.  If the guitar is worthless, then I don't want to bother taking it in.  (My husband will keep it for sentimental reasons of course.)  I am not looking for a dollar figure, just for an idea of how old and what kind of shape it is in.  Is it worth taking it in for a $25 appraisal?  There are no cracks in it and seems to be in good shape.

I would love it if some one could give me some information and a idea of what kind of shape it is in.  I can post more photos if anyone wants.

The second guitar is about the same vintage but not in as good shape with no markings to tell who made it other then a number printed inside.  I can post a few pictures if anyone is interested.

Thank you

Jo-Ann (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)

Views: 4828

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This may be a jewel in disguise as most peeps wouldn't go to that much trouble on a headstock for a cheapo IMO.Is the top solid or ply?If I had it I'd strip it bare and ditch the offensive pickguard.Looks.Gibson/shaped body to me....post more pics.I'm not a collector btw so I have no problem altering for playing or appearance purposes.

I think the top is solid... but really not sure.

Here are a few more photos.

Attachments:

Inside a Hensel Minerva

Thanks John.  It's interesting how everything is almost but not quite what I'm used to seeing.  Is that diamond near the bass side of the top a patch or is it something original to the guitar?

Ned I'm glad you asked about that it's not a patch it seems to be there for a reason, it's in both of the ones I have. The resaw marks are left on the inside, top and bottom. It looks like a very large fine tooth circular blade was used. The insides were sanded smooth where the braces were glued but the saw marks were left everywhere else. 

I though it looked like it was original rather than a patch added later. Does it seem to have any effect on the top in that area? I'm wondering if it is intended to "tune" out a Wolf tone or something like that.

I don't mean this as a knock on the builder but it looks like the X is a bit undersized and the braces all appear to be a little out of place.  Evidently, it worked just fine since he apparently was able to make a name for himself  in the area.  How does this guitar sound?

I haven't finished this one yet but, Murray McLauchlan a 40yr fixture in the Canadian roots and folk scene bought one of these and had it restored. He loves it and used it all over his most recent album. http://www.truenorthrecords.com/Albums.php?album_id=734

He's best known for this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1eoOI6gi24

What's going on here? No bridgepin holes in the bridgeplate? A lot of glue mess that makes me wonder what's original or what's new. 

Ok Paul go back to where I talked about regluing every single brace and replacing the bridge plate

I recently sold an RS William banjo.  Same story as others have mentioned here.  Toronto made instrument that is not well-recognized in the marketplace in general.

The banjo I sold was a very good quality instrument.  It was put on the local market and gained almost no interest.  In the end a local guy who is a player and a bit of a collector bought it for $250.  I think he got a real deal.

I think this guitar is worthy of some respect in the Toronto market.  Keep it well - it can only appreciate.

Thank you for the information Richard.

I hope that someday, it will have some respect in more then just the Toronto market!

I am going to try and get it into a local guy next week to see what he says about it.  Will let everyone know what is said.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service