FRETS.NET

has anyone ever toyed with going out and Having a plek machine do the fret work on a new construction instrument ? Ive been thinking of this, 2010 I was at the Plek Booth at the NAMM show the guy there explained on my best day doing frets Id be 80% accurate I said no way Joe his response was yes it is, and his Machine would smoke me and so Now I Have some beautiful instruments coming to completion and I would only want the best for the customers that play them has anyone PLEK ed before ?

Views: 2323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

Most of us who deal with (or have dealt with) setting up new instruments at the point of receipt expect to see uneven frets.  Doesn't matter whether the instrument was done by a master luthier or a Plek.    The high volumes and turnaround speed of production coupled with the need to keep production cost low in the face of rising prices for quality fingerboard wood probably accounts for some of this. 

Also, guitars are shipped around the world by shipping container and in air cargo holds which experience wide temperature and humidity changes and may end up (as is our case) coming from a northern hemisphere summer to a southern hemisphere winter (or otherwize) with very short normalisation times or long exposures to temperature variations in sea voyages (especially if on the top load deck).  Ebony seems to like to squeeze out frets in this situation but in my humble experience most guitars can stand a touch up upon receipt and six to 12 months into their playing life.  

Finally, all stage guitars are subject to robust conditions and electrics especially cop a bit of a hiding - not unusual to have to fret dress every couple of shows for some of my own custom instuments - nothing wrong with the fret job - it's just the environment. Rusty. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service