FRETS.NET

Forum Discussions (4,424)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Dead strings/poor sustain

I built a baritone uke and tuned to GCEA with the aquila strings for that tuning.  The instrument has great balance and projection with str…

Started by John McDonald in Luthier Talk

3 Sep 14, 2010
Reply by John McDonald

Back Thickness

I have a curly Maple back, I would like to use for a size 5 unit. It's my understanding to be around .110 for thickness....but this piece i…

Started by Michael Tulloch in Luthier Talk

4 Sep 14, 2010
Reply by Michael Tulloch

60's kay Banjo

I'm working on a 60's Kay 5 string banjo for a friend,I found you article most helpful,But the part about loosening the neck was'nt clear t…

Started by Johnny R Rowland in Luthier Talk

7 Sep 14, 2010
Reply by Johnny R Rowland

Stratocaster vs Telecaster

Hi all. I have been playing acoustic guitar for years, and now would like to try some electric. I have a cheap Strat copy that is OK at bes…

Started by Arthur Sweeney in Luthier Talk

14 Sep 13, 2010
Reply by Doug T

Here's a couple pics of my most recent Gourd Banjo

This is a gourd banjo that I finished earlier this week and delivered to the customer yesterday morning.  Thought y'll might like to see it…

Started by Dave Fox in Luthier Talk

0 Sep 12, 2010

Travis Bean Pickup - replacement?

I have been working on assembling a Travis Bean TB1000. I hit a dead at pick ups. The last one I saw go on Ebay was $1500!  I am looking fo…

Started by Tom Krebs in Luthier Talk

2 Sep 12, 2010
Reply by Mac Walker

Reoxidizing rosewood

I'm working on a 1986 D28 that had a large (fist size) hole knocked in the back. Somebody tried to put the pieces back together. A few smal…

Started by David Houchens in Luthier Talk

16 Sep 10, 2010
Reply by Mac Walker

Squier Frets = Poor Tone?

Just got a Squier Telecaster to work on. Its an old 1998 model, and overall a good quality instrument. The fault is that the D and G string…

Started by Barry Crump in Luthier Talk

1 Sep 8, 2010
Reply by Tom Krebs

The missing link in restoring a Martin peghead

Back in the late 60's I practiced abalone inlay on the peghead of my 1956 00-18. Kindly remember it was only a 00-18 in those days. Someone…

Started by Jonathan Conant in Luthier Talk

5 Sep 8, 2010
Reply by Rich Mulcahy

Startocaster, bridge pickup problem

A customer brought in a Mexican Fender Stratocaster with 1 volume and 2 tone controls  The bridge pickup was not working in position 1, but…

Started by Robert Bander in Luthier Talk

14 Sep 4, 2010
Reply by Paul Verticchio

RSS

© 2026   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service