FRETS.NET

Hello all, First of all thanks so much for the helpfull responses to my headstock fracture issue! My second repair issue with this guitar is firming-up the bridge post bushings.

I have found that leaning bridge posts are common on the '54&'55 LPJ's. Mainly because of the shorter (1/2") bushings in an almost 1" hole and.....the close proximity of the treble post to the P-90 route.

This guitar has the 'classic' post lean! The pressure from the treble post has 'compromised' or broke the wood between the hole and pickup route.

In doing so it has 'deformed' the holes somewhat I will try to depict....

Views: 3535

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Retro,

This may be a really stupid question, particularly given how little I know about Electric's but is the intonation correct on your guitar? The bridge angle in the picture looks fairly steep to me so I'm wondering if you need to make an adjustment to that while you are replacing/repairing the post mounts.

Hi Ned.  Great point.  I think you know more than you give yourself credit for. (:

The LPJr  has a couple of inherent design flaws: the bridge & the neck angle. 

Some neck angles are OK.  Most are just a little off for a contemporary action & feel.

Their stop bar bridges are their Achilles heel. Rarely were the bridge stud posts placed correctly and relocating them is a very common fix on all but "display only" collectibles.

Here's what we have to remember about the LPJr:   It was a budget or student instrument...or what today we'd call an entry level instrument.  Luckily, it shed that status in the late 60's and has rightly been considered a "great working man's guitar" since.  It's also considered a great platform instrument to upgrade, if one is so inclined.

They came with what would be considered 'heavy gauge' stings in today's world.  This included a wound G string. That being said, the bridge system they used rarely intonated well with contemporary light gauge strings (10-46)..or for that matter, even with the original heavy strings. Fortunately for the LPJr, players back then didn't have the high expectations of today's players.

The stop bar bridge problems were the inspiration for the Leo Quann Badass Bridge developed in the mid 70's to expressly address this design flaw.  Luckily, today, Pigtail & others offer a superb quality aftermarket fully intonatable bridge that is much better than the original Badass.

It's also a fact that even the modern replacement bridges benefit greatly from relocating (especially the treble side) stud(s).

To complete the setup for modern strings, a new nut is also required, as are new tuners as all the old Klusons are of questionable reliability.  Again, affordable high quality modern aftermarket drop-in replacements are readily available.

Although I wouldn't do that to a pristine 55 LPJr (read: one that some collector will slap it in a glass case and will never have Mississippi Queen played on it), but I'd have no qualms doing it to an instrument in less than EC. I've done several of these "corrections/upgrades" over the years.  The common statement from the all the owners went something like: "Wow, it never played in tune before and now it does and it's finally useable.".

I guess that I'm 'that guy' who prefers a guitar that sets up well and intonates correctly as opposed  to a 'vintage correct' instrument with all its inherent problems.  However, it's ultimately the owner that will decide what's best for them.

In closing, had Gibson located the treble side studs in the correct location to begin with, we wouldn't see as many cracked stud holes as we see today. But, you can't blame them as in '55, all electric guitar design ideas were "flyin' by the seats of our pants" developments.  Given the music & strings of that era...they did a super job given their non-existent long term experiences with the electric guitar..

Have a good'un Ned(-:

Disclaimer: My last post was only a summary of my observations of and experiences with the LPJr. It was posted in response to Ned's post and is more historical than technical, in nature.

It should not be construed as suggestions to or being directed at the original poster.  Rod has very clear and definite visions for outcome of his instrument....and I respect that (-:

Hey Paul, Thanks for injecting your negative wisdom and historical inadaquencies of the lowly LP jr into my original post. I am a grown man and if I wanted 'contemporary' I would buy 'contemporary'...!

It sounds like you are looking and advertising for work?

You may be correct in much of what you say....BUT....You being "that guy"...will never get along with me....being "this guy"

If I don't like the way this guitar plays when I'm done....I will hang it on the wall for art!....Thats were I am coming from! As you say....'the owner will ultimately decide'

Different strokes for different folks...

Have a good day!

Huh?

"Disclaimer: My last post was only a summary of my observations of and experiences with the LPJr. It was posted in response to Ned's post and is more historical than technical, in nature.

It should not be construed as suggestions to or being directed at the original poster.  Rod has very clear and definite visions for outcome of his instrument....and I respect that (-:"

You don't have very good comprehension skills do you.

I was simply confirming my respect for YOUR wishes.

"I am a grown man......".  Well.... start behaving like one.

Man, you read way too much "personal stuff" into my replies. This will not be an issue in the future.

Sorry, I have been accused of that before! I don't put much creedance to it though. My instincts are usually pretty good when dealing with underlying attitude! I have been dealing with way too much of it lately! I am sure that it won't be the last time. Now you want to bash my comprehension skills? Great! You certainly ARE a social blunder!

Thanks for the information, Paul. You've taught me a lot over the last couple of years.

As you know, I'm starting to educate myself on "those other guitar things"  and I really appreciate all your input. I've looked at the LP Jr.s several times but I don't know anything at all about Gibson's lower end electrics. I really don't know that much about electric guitars but I do have a back ground in computer systems and training in electronics so sometimes I can fake it. The bridge question had more to do with having a pretty good idea of what the angle of a well intoned bridge looks like. Your history lesson on the development of these guitars explains a lot. (Wound G strings? Really? Hurts my fingers just thinking about it.)  

I always find it interesting that we very often prize what was considered low end when it was new.  The old Kay archtop I have was a fairly cheap guitar when it was new. Now it's still cheap for an archtop but it's worth much more than it should be considering it's age and original purchase price. It also happens to be a very nice sounding and playing guitar. Nothing wrong with low end particularly when it turns out to be such a deal.

I'm a firm believer in functional guitars. To me it's useless to own an instrument that doesn't play as well as possible. I wouldn't modify a guitar that was really in excellent original condition AND I try to make any modification I make to the instrument I work on as reversible as possible but sometimes it just makes sense to put functionality first and originality second. The Favilla F5 I'm refinishing now was not built with an X brace but it has one now. It the case of this guitar with the damage it sustained the decision just makes sense. The guitar will never be a collector but it will continue to have value simply because it will be functional for much longer now. I haven't lost a dime on the modification because, as it was, it only had any real value to willing to do what I'm doing. In the end it will be worth playing and that's the bottom line for me. Looking good is nice too but original is not required.

Thanks again for the response.

Hey Ned, there are never any stupid questions!....Just unanswered ones at times...:-)

The picture posted was in the condition that I got it. I have not been able to play it yet. Repairing the post bushings will make intonation possible with the help of set screws on the bridge-tailpiece. The previous owner tried to stabilize the posts with chassis washers....and then the tuner buttons failed and I doubt that the guitar had been played....or seen a case in years! At some point it took a fall and fractured the headstock....also making it 'dicey'!

I do know that the electonics are original and function. The pots were really tight, but flushing them with electonics cleaner has restored them to a smooth rotation.

The finish is cleaning up nicely also, with a nice vintage patina!

I know I am 'rattling' on but I enjoy a new guitar,

Rod

It' really sounds like a fun project, Retro.  At some point I will pickup a electric to rebuild but I really, really have to finish the backlog of acoustic instruments.  

My question about the bridge was based in the concern that you are in the process of making repairs and now is the time to make the corrections IF it is out of shape. If it were mine to repair. I'd make some measurements before I did anything to insure that the post were properly positioned. 

Gotcha Ned! In other words, don,t take Gibsons word and work for it! Fair enuff! After all it was 1955 and they may not have had it 'perfected'...?

In all honesty, I have not heard much but great praise and raves over the Junior playability and TONE!

I am hoping for the same raves by me!!!

The little bit that I've seen indicates that they are fine guitar but I don't know that I've seen any that were unmodified and playable. I certainly don't believe there is anything wrong with wanting a guitar to be stock but it seems to me, as I learn more about them, that it is almost a matter of course that electrics are modified and upgraded.

As a personal opinion, There are a lot of us that do not think that "utilitarian" and "amateur" are necessarily negative terms. Paul has always supported the idea that simpler is usually better, particularly for a working musician. Not that my opinion matters but I believe you misunderstood Paul.  A lot of us ARE amateur and a lot of us like utilitarian.     

I accept your opinion and I probably did misunderstand!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service