FRETS.NET

I've come at the problem many different ways. All have been successful with varying levels of frustration and sometimes downright aggravation depending on the circumstances.
We can all look out the same window and get a different view. I'd like to hear what's been successful and user friendly in the tricky undertaking of bridge plate removal.
Tales to tell anyone?
Horror stories are welcome as well.

Views: 1760

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the heads up. I always felt that it was a specialty tool for only specialty situations. My thoughts were that it would be a great tool for inexpensive guitars with plywood bridgeplates, and replacing the worn areas with hardwood. A little more class and finesse rather than slapping a patch over the existing bridgeplate or prying and cussing.
As reality likes to do it slaps you out of your dreamy stupor. That reality being most guitars like that have gone well past the point of economical repair with top belly, or aren't worth the price of fixing in the first place.
I have one too. Still waiting for the right convergence of cirumstances to whip that puppy out. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks Mike.
R.J.
I have the bridgesaver tool as well. With common string spacing, if you go all the way to, but not into the top, the patches will usually over lap between the pin holes.
I use it when the customer doesn't want to spend the price of removing the plate.
If done well with good smooth surfaces, it does a fine job.
Good to know. I have a Takamine 12 string in the shop that's going to get a new top. Before that it's going to be my test monkey for the bridgesaver. Thanks for the info David.
R.J.
Is the aim to save the bridge itself? If not why not cut through nearly level with the top. Less heat needed .
No. The original bridge was lost long ago in a galaxy far far away after what appears to have been some nightmare bridgeplate repairs on very thin plywood top that has about thirty years of belly pull and is set in it's ways like my grandfather. It was donated to science and will be used to teach up and coming luthiers. It might even sound better when we're done with it.
R.J.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service