FRETS.NET

My p bass took a tumble and now has two chips taken out of the finish (see photo). I would appreciate some help in how to fix it. I have not done any refinishing on instruments and since this is my personal instrument am not concerned if I don't do it perfect the first time out. I do have a compressor and spray equipment, I just need to know if it's possible to fix or not and if you think this is good project to start with.

Views: 61

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would fill it with 5 min. epoxy then touch it up . BILL.'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Same as William but with cyanoacrylate glue :
fill, sand, touch-up with colored lacquer or paint, then clear coats and polish.
The hard part will be to match the color. It's always the hard part.
Thanks for replying. I hope I understand what you're saying-fill(layer of glue on the bare wood then sand it smooth) find a color that matches the white of the body and spray that over the glue. Then apply clear coats of lacquer over the color coat until level with the original lacquer and then polish. Does the lacquer need to be nitrocellulose or can it be a water base lacquer? I'm guessing it needs to be nitro. Any suggestions on how to match the color before I apply it to the bass?
Th filling process is using whatever stuff you want to fill up the holes and get a nice shape. It's the structural repair. Then you can do the touch-up, the aesthetic part.
I prefer nitro for the clear coats because it makes very discrete witness lines when polished on another finish. So go for it if you have some. Your finish is PU on this bass, so it will take whatever finish you want without being damage.
Touch-ups and finishes are the most difficult things to learn. Getting good results is time consuming, needs equipement and skills.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service