FRETS.NET

How do I remove "layers" of PVA glue from bridge area on 1980 Martin D-35

I'm new here and hope that I'm not asking a question that has been covered many times before.

I purchased a 1980 D-35 recently that has had a history of the bridge coming off.  The bridge was glued down on it when I got it, but popped off after about 6 months. I can see that there have been a number of different attempts to re-glue the bridge during it's life. I purchased a bottle of De Glue Goo and tried using it to soften and lift the PVA glue, but apparently did not get as much off as I thought I had. I tried re-gluing it last week and after letting it set for 48 hours, the bridge came up as I was bringing the strings up to pitch. It seems as though the pores of the wood are sealed by previous glue attempts. I'm hoping that there is a better product or procedure available that I'm not aware of. This guitar has amazing sound when it is playable, so I want to do everything possible to rescue it.

Views: 1102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or checking driver's licenses for authenticity, or looking at invisible writing, or, as my 5 year old did, use them with a UV marker to make an invisible person book. 

It would also be possible to write inside of an instrument with a UV marker for future reference. 

I can't hardly wait to get one and "discover" all of the hidden uses.

Black lights are great for making a good first impression with a date by showing off your dandruff.

My bad.  I got mine at the local True Value Hardware.  Still, it was about 3 bucks IIRC>

I looked at the HF web site and they don't have a UV flashlight listed.  I just assumed they had it--they have nearly everything else.

Larry

$4 at Home Despot:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service