FRETS.NET

What to use to fill cracks in a newer Martin 00016-GTE?

I've repaired a side crack in a Martin 00016-GTE, structurally. What would you guys use to fill in the crack? I've already sealed it with shellac. Should I use nitro or CA and scrape? Any help would be appreciated. I'm afraid of sanding or scraping through the finish. It's the satin finish.

Tags: Crack, Repair, Side, Veneer

Views: 963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another question, where can I get Cellosolve? I've looked everywhere and can't find any.
I Googled Cellosolve & came up with this: http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemicals_A_F-Butyl_Cellosolve.html

Looks like some mighty nasty stuff.

That old Google is a mighty good resource.

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned you tried to close the crack with molds. Why didn't you use clamps?
I used molds to keep it flush and clamps to keep it together. It took both. Just that nasty little crack in the pics I couldn't close any better without inlaying a splice. And the customer didn't want that. Thanks for the cellosolve link.
That's the problem I've run into. They want documentation on why you deserve to have it, too much red tape.
I've never used the Cellosolve before, but have heard it works well for repairing finish checking. I wanted to give it a try. I'm not sure which one I need either. I just knew it used to go by the brand name "Cellosolve". If you know anymore I'd love the help.
Thanks!
Chad & Jeff,

I am completely clueless on the Cellosolve. I inferred from your dialogue that it's used to re-flow cured nitro-lac. Thanks for the tech update.

Jeff, I asked my question prior to viewing "beforer" pic's you posted. WOW. It came out really well considering. It almost looks like the owner "softened" the edges of the crack before he/she entrusted it to your care. Good save (:

It's amazing how many guitars develop mystery maladies while their in their cases. Or at least my client's guitars do.

Best of luck with the next step in your repair.

Cheers,
Paul
I need something that amalgamates the checking. If you know of anything else that works, please let me know. The project I'm working on is a cherry red SG that was dropped on it's butt. It knocked out a huge chunk of wood and finish out (which I've filled in with a lacquer burn in stick). It also caused ripples of checking around the impact point. Less completely sanding it down and starting over, what do you recommend?
Jeff,

I searched some 'fine woodworking' sites. The pro cabinet makers seem to use Mohawk brand stuff. They're VERY FINE products.

Here's a link to their amalgamate/solvent:

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=137

Got pics of the SG? BTW: this is a real common "issue" for an SG. Most SG players just accept their battle scars as part of owning an SG (:

Folks should be required to take a test and undergo training before buying an SG (the most eccentric & delicate electric guitar in the world). Personally, I truly love 'em....warts & all (:
After checking the Mohawk link out, and reading the tech. info there, I'm not sure if it's the correct stuff to use for amalgamating nitro finishes: Maybe Frank will read this, and will be able to tell us more. Frank knows everything, he's my guru :-)
Check this out: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/Lacquer/Am...
I see that the article is from 1998, is the stuff that Frank used still available? It would interest me too, in case I ever need it for amalgamating small checking cracks.

Grahame
Hi Grahame.

The stuff Frank used on that post (which I referenced before doing further research) is the same highly controlled & toxic brew that's been mentioned throughout this thread. It's highly regulated in the USA & Canada.

Frank may wish to consider updating his "tech-tip" to mention that Cellosolve is effectively no longer available to the general public. And I agree: He IS the man!

I'm simply acting as a volunteer research assistant on this subject.

Any chemists out there? It seems that's the kind of input we need.

Take care my friend(:
I'll upload pics of the SG soon, with before and currently. I agree, a warning label should be shipped with every SG:) Unfortunately, the owner is extremely anal, and also wants every ding filled in. The number of CA fills I've done on the top has reached around 12. But, if he wants to pay, I'll repair, though I'm with you on the battle scars. It's not a trophy, it's a guitar...they're suppose to be played.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service