FRETS.NET

Some fun stuff I found working on instruments 

Views: 2400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe not my worst find, but the latest. While replacing an old mandolin top that had caved-in at the bridge, I discovered why it had caved.  Some important structural braces had failed and the "fix" was, apparently, for someone to just close their eyes, pour a cup of glue inside and hope for the best!  

It's so hideous that I can't bring myself to toss it out. Yikes. 

Hmm, looks like they got that bottom brace glued back down.

Here is another gluing 101, a German archtop that crossed my bench sometime back...

There is a Black spot between the screw hole in the center and the upper left corner...it's a cricket smashed into the glue. Tidy job, don't you think?

Did it belong to a member of Buddy Holly's band?

"Did it belong to a member of Buddy Holly's band?"

Maybe inspired by....

This was recorded in 1984, before the guy playing it decided it would be a good idea to work on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Oz_hM1JLo

Holy cow that is bad! 

I don't understand , with you guys so far apart geographically, how my work keeps showing up on your benches...

Now that's funny ;)

This is not really that bad, it's a band aid, but a little funny :) 

How about this for a subtle bit of pickup fitting on a 1937 Epi Triumph? Took a lot of restoration work ...

Best wishes

Jon

www.jp-guitars.co.uk

Attachments:

I am currently resurrecting this 1934 Epiphone Spartan. I got it, from a fella who found it, as is, at a flea market. Looks like someone began to 'fix' it, with fiberglass & polyester resin(coating the top & sides, fiberglass inside on a long crack), then lost interest...

Attachments:

Here we go again :)

Another one.. 

:)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service