FRETS.NET

Martin 00015 headstock Nitro reaction to rubber feet on clip-on tuner

I guess I have heard of this happening before, but never seen it in person. The damage was caused by the Intellitouch PT40 clip-on tuner attachment feet. The Martin website says this guitar has an East Indian Rosewood headstock plate with nitrocellulose finish. Not sure what rubber-like material is on the tuner feet, but I am hoping to learn how to fix the headstock finish issues if possible. Pictures of the headstock and the tuner attached. Thanks! Steve

Views: 1903

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen, could you post a clearer picture of the damage? You are talking about the black strip right? Something in focus and well lit? Thanks! 

Unfortunately, the only repair I know for this plastic migration/discoloration is to refinish the headstock.

How long was the tuner on there? If you look carefully in the tuner instructions I'm sure it says "don't leave it on your headstock". This is why.

Defending the in-defensible?    A  clip-on headstock tuner that you can't leave clipped onto a headstock - right.

However, I suppose these manufacturers are the same mob who make instrument stands that rot into the nitro finish on Gibsons for instance.........good for us repair guys, bad for the poor old owners eh.  Gregs right, its a headstock refinish.

Rusty.

Or just glue the tuner in place over the damage...... ;)

Seriously though it is in-defensible for anyone to promote a product that can damage an instrument.  Don't they know that only girly-men read instructions......

Kidding of course....  It's a shame though!

PS:  Just removed a couple of clip-on tuners from my personal guitars....

I read instructions and I'm NOT a "girly-man"! 

Of course, it's usually after I've broken something trying to get it to work straight out of the box but that should count for something

I think this can happen to just about anyone. I recently discovered that a stand I've used for years has some foam padding that is degrading. I found it because I noticed a rough area on the bottom/back edge of one of my guitars. Melted finish.  Maybe I exceeding it's "lifetime". 

LOL - you and me both Ned my friend.  Instructions tend to be, sadly.... a last resort for me too.... ;)

We don't need no stinkin instructions..... ;)

PS:  So what if I'm the guy who once booked a ticket to SFO when I intended to go to LAX....  True story, my employer was not amused....

I found & read the .pdf instruction manual for the Intellitouch PT40, and it doesn't mention a word about how long to leave it attached, etc.

Although I'll bet the next version of the manual just might address that issue:)

http://www.onboardresearch.com/manuals/PT40_Manual.pdf

It appears I have a kindred spirit - I now have my children check the dates of my connecting flights to avoid sitting around airports with jet lag emptying my wallet to buy another flight that didn't leave yesterday...........I blamed the dateline last time but it didn't fool anybody.

Rusty.

Thanks everyone. Kerry, I am not able to get any better pictures at this time, but I can if still needed.The guitar is about two years old, and likely has had the tuner clamped on it for months at a time. The owner had used the same tuner on a carbon fiber Rainsong for years with no bad results, so never gave it any thought clipping it on the Martin. The guitar was purchased new, so I am wondering if the lacquer had not fully cured when the tuner was clipped on. Mike, interesting there is no warning in the manual. Could this be the only example?

The Rainsong would have a crosslinking type finish most likely, which truly cures, whereas the nitro on a Martin is a purely evaporative finish and does not actually cure, but simply dries. Because the solids of an evaporative nitro finish do not bond on a molecular level, they remain subject to the effects of other chemicals that may come into contact with the dried finish, such as those often present in different types of plastic, rubber, foam, etc.

Basically what Im getting at is that this is no fault of Martin's, but rather its owner (lack of care/education) and the maker of the tuner (poor choice of materials to be attached to an instrument). There are many other examples of this kind of reaction out there.

Andrew, there are principles in business and product liability that says if you make something it must be fit for the purpose it is intended to be used for.  A clip on tuner doesn't come with an education course or a booklet on care.  Neither does this particular tuner come with a warning to not attach it to nitrocellulose  finished guitars or Martin guitars etc. 

Consequently, the owner does not bear any responsibility for the damage caused by this faulty product.

As a nitro sprayer I am fully aware of the problems with reactive materials - so to should be the makers of clip-on tuners.  The average consumer should not need a chemistry lesson or a industrial chemists degree as a precursor to buying a guitar accessory.

Rusty. 

Thats pretty fair, and I didnt mean to blame the owner. I just think if you own an instrument you care for, especially one of any 'pedigree', then one ought to exercise some common sense and not leave anything stuck to it that didnt come stuck to it, or at least google it first. Of course a company that makes instrument tuners should be making them instrument friendly. I guess Im just a bit of a cynic in that I dont take anything at face value, especially when someone is selling me a product.

I guess if I were to rephrase, I could fault the owner, but I would blame the product manufacturer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service