Added by Mark Riess on March 30, 2011 at 11:06pm — No Comments
When I left you yesterday, the cutaway piece was pretty much fitted up and ready to go, so with a few minor adjustments to the kerfing, a trial fit or two, a dry run at clamping, and some finish sanding to the exposed surface, I glued it up and put the clamps on:…Continue
Added by Mark Riess on March 28, 2011 at 9:00pm — No Comments
Well, the oud turned out great. Sorry, no photos.
After I delivered it, I was invited to the birthday party of the oudist. There was a band of flamenco players there, burning up the strings with incredibly fast & furious rhythms, with the not inconsiderable help of a "jam-man", a phalanx of AEG amps and a hot drummer.
So I came home and rounded up the old classical beater, and, while tossing and turning one night, decided to retrofit a cutaway design into it as well as…Continue
Added by Mark Riess on March 27, 2011 at 9:04pm — No Comments
Oodles of odd ouds are coming across my workbench these days. Yesterday I removed the peg head from a neck/head assembly a friend had shipped from Jordan to replace the peghead on an oud he has. The oud maker in Jordan had mistakenly sent a neck assembled to the peghead as well, which my friend did not want. So I fired up the espresso steamer and separated the two. …Continue
Added by Mark Riess on February 16, 2011 at 10:46pm — No Comments
I bought a cheap Japanese Yamaha-copy 12-string guitar at a second hand store for $50. It had an over-bellied top, a bushing missing from one of the tuners, old strings and a misaligned nut. I hung it in the garage for months, planning to torture it as a repair experiment.
Then, as I researched repair methods for over-bellied tops, I discovered the JLD Bridge Doctor, a simple, mostly wood device easily installed inside the guitar that flattens the top and also acts as a soundpost,…
Added by Mark Riess on January 28, 2011 at 9:22pm — No Comments
Spruce (Engelmann, Sitka?) top, Brazilian rosewood back & sides; ebony bridge & fretboard,
mahogany neck, heel is capped with laminates of redgum eucalyptus and rosewood, peghead veneered with rosewood; bindings of ebony & rosewood; rosette, position markers, peghead inlay, end and back trim are of 'found' abalone. Saddle and nut are bone. Scale = 24-13/16". Fret board is bound on each side with ebony.
Body is 14.5"…Continue
Added by Mark Riess on February 18, 2010 at 12:30pm — No Comments
The clamps are a little heavy handed...the blue tape works fine, but i needed a few clamps to get things started. I used the hot pipe to pre-bend the purfling to rough shape.
Added by Mark Riess on December 23, 2009 at 9:01pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on December 23, 2009 at 8:48pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on December 18, 2009 at 7:11pm — No Comments
My father-in-law gave this to me back in the 80's, and I never had time to do much with it. It was in extreme disrepair at the time, but he recognized it as a unique and lovely piece of work. I don't know where he got it. Probably in a second hand shop of antiques up in the gold country between excursions prospecting or treasure hunting. I certainly think he found a treasure in this.
Added by Mark Riess on December 6, 2009 at 3:37pm — No Comments
It has met and exceeded my hopes and expectations. It actually has better intonation and pitch accuracy in all positions and tunings than any guitar I've ever owned or knowned. I first strung it up 2 days after gluing on the bridge, using D'Addario phosphor bronze light guage strings, then after a day or two, unstrung it and compensated the saddle. Played it for a couple of weeks just to let it sink in that it was done and that it sounded as good as I… Continue
I french polished the body with shellac using the Milburn tutorial. Thanks! you guys.
Added by Mark Riess on October 5, 2009 at 8:00pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on September 7, 2009 at 9:30pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on September 7, 2009 at 9:24pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on August 20, 2009 at 6:40pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on August 20, 2009 at 6:37pm — No Comments
I decided to run a strip of abalone down the seam where the sides meet. I glued the abalone onto the surface of the sides with "amazing goop", a fast-setting flexible adhesive, scribed the sides of the abalone when the goop was dry, removed it and began carving out the slot. First, using a razor knife I cut down the scribe lines, then I angled the razor knife from the inside area to carve out an edge. Then I chucked in the dental burr to the dremel… Continue
Added by Mark Riess on August 11, 2009 at 6:30pm — No Comments
Added by Mark Riess on August 8, 2009 at 11:00pm — No Comments