FRETS.NET

Hello everyone, relatively new luthier here.
I'm currently challenging myself to make a reasonable sounding electric using only domestic woods, so here goes...
Has anyone here ever had any experience using walnut as a fingerboard material?
Considering it for a walnut/maple telecaster I am building, quartersawn of course.
I'm sure abrasion resistance won't be as good as a traditional fingerboard material, but what about tonality and stability in service?
I have seen a tele kit from Grizzly woodworking that has a walnut fingerboard, but other than this, I have never seen it used on an electric or acoustic.

Tags: Walnut, fingerboard

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can use it, but be aware that it is not as durable as rosewood, maple or ebony. Stability? No reason for it not to be if properly cured. Tonality? I think it's not that great a factor, especially on an electric.
Bob, Umm, last time I listened fingerboard material on electrics made the same difference as those on pure acoustics - maybe even a bit more when they are cranked up for all the world to hear - I believe there is more to electrics than meets the eye and they constantly challenge me - otherwize I would make em out of plywood and my life would be easy. Rusty.
Walnut has a specific gravity (density) between 4 and 5 compared to Ebony at .9 and Rosewood at 1.0. Therefore, it will not wear well.
Persimmon, dogwood or Black locust come to mind.

Cheers,
Kirt
While this is a bit dated not Osage Orange is one of the densest/hardest native woods and easy to find. It's native to the MS valley but widely planted in the east for brush fencing - in KY I've seen 60' trees 24" DBH pushed over and burned for housing development - some nices ones in Virginia's New River Valley also. Much harder than black walnut and less likely to split than dogwood and black locust - persimmon while in the ebony family has such a small ration of heartwood to sapwood that a 14" DBH persimmion will only have about an inch of heartwood (was one of my disappointments). Osage orange is kinda widely yellow when cut but ages to a rust color - not nearly as wild looking as some fretboard woods now used.

Rob

RSS

© 2024   Created by Frank Ford.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service